The Newark Switching Station, located at 422 University Ave., is a critical facility serving the city’s electric distribution and transmission network. After more than half a century in operation, the station is outdated and needs equipment upgrades, so PSE&G is rebuilding the station. This project will help PSE&G continue to deliver safe, highly reliable electric service for our Newark customers long into the future.
- A new Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) Hall and Control Building will be constructed and placed into service.
- The existing building will be deconstructed to ground level.
- The project also involves the installation of new transformers, a lightning mast, distribution switchgear and other miscellaneous electrical equipment.
- The station yard will be screened from the street with a decorative wall.
- PSE&G will secure necessary permits and approvals from the City of Newark, County of Essex and other applicable agencies.
- Construction is expected to begin in March 2019, and the station will be placed into service by summer 2021. De-construction of the existing building will begin in late 2021 and be completed in 2022.
- This project is a part of a $361 million investment in Newark’s electrical infrastructure to ensure redundancy and reliability.
- PSE&G is working with Newark-based architectural firms to design and beautify the exterior of the station.
- PSE&G will implement a community jobs partnership to provide career opportunities for local residents.
- PSE&G will work with community partners to identify local businesses, including those owned by minorities and women, for various services needed for the project.
PSE&G does not anticipate any electric outages as a result of this work.
Some aspects of this activity may result in unavoidable noise. You will also notice increased truck traffic in and out of the facility during this work, particularly in the morning. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. PSE&G will make every effort to keep sound levels at a minimum. We are also coordinating with the Newark Police Department to ensure public safety and minimize any traffic concerns.