Reliability Project Overview
The PSE&G Energy Strong Program will strengthen New Jersey’s electric and gas systems in an effort to proactively protect its infrastructure against severe weather damage like the state experienced during Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy. As part of the program, PSE&G will protect, raise or relocate 29 switching and substations throughout New Jersey that were damaged by water either due to excessive rainfall or a storm surge.
- Elevation of new and existing distribution equipment in accordance with Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) recently revised flood hazard guidance to mitigate the impact of future flooding events as experienced during Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy.
- Install and raise new 13kV sheltered aisle switchgear to replace existing equipment
- Install and raise new control house
- Complete landscaping plan to beautify the site upon completion of construction work on-site
- The project is scheduled to begin construction in the spring of 2015.
- The project will be complete and in-service by May 2016.
- PSE&G will work with the Borough of Somerville Police to keep traffic impacts to a minimum.