Reliability Project Overview
PSE&G is currently conducting statewide electric reliability improvements to its utility infrastructure. These enhancements will improve both electric service reliability and system redundancy to ensure safe and reliable service to our customers. Throughout the state of New Jersey, PSE&G infrastructure upgrades will reduce the demand on the existing 26kV network. The projects will install 69kV transmission circuits connecting PSE&G stations around the state.
River Road Substation Project
- New 69kV Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS), which allows for the addition of increased voltage capacity with minimal impact to the existing station footprint, will be installed at our River Road station.
- Elevation of new and existing equipment in accordance with the US Department of Homeland Security Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) recently revised flood hazard guidance to mitigate the impact of future flooding events as experienced during Super Storm Sandy.
- Installation of a building to house the new GIS and monitoring equipment will also take place within PSE&G property.
- Station construction is began in the 2nd Quarter of 2014.
- The River Road station project is estimated to be completed in the 4th Quarter of 2016.
Tonnelle Avenue-Union City Substation Network Project
- New 69kV Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS), which allows for the addition of increased voltage capacity with minimal impact to the existing station footprint, will be installed at our Union City and Tonnelle Avenue stations.
- Station construction is expected to commence in the 2nd Quarter of 2015.
- New 69kV circuits will connect the Bergen Switching Station, in Ridgefield, to the Tonnelle Avenue station in North Bergen.
- The route runs along an existing pole line on Tonnelle Avenue to the Tonnelle Avenue station.
- New 69kV circuits will connect the Tonnelle Avenue station and the Union City station.
- The route runs along an existing pole line on Tonnelle Avenue to Bergen Turnpike to Liberty Avenue.
- The route will run underground along Liberty Avenue to Paterson Plank Road into the Union City station.
- Underground construction/pole line reconstruction is expected to commence in the 3rd Quarter of 2015.
- Vegetation Management activity such as tree trimming or tree removals may occur in order to allow for the safe installation of new equipment.
- The project is estimated to be completed in the 2nd Quarter of 2016.
- PSE&G will work with the Township of North Bergen Police to keep traffic impacts to a minimum.
This route will be approximately 6 miles along the existing public right of ways in the towns of Ridgefield, Fairview and North Bergen.