This new switching station is an essential project to enhance the redundancy and reliability of our transmission system. Required by PJM, the regional transmission organization, it will relieve the projected transmission overloads and provide partial emergency backup to PSE&G’s existing Newark Switching Station. The new station is also a prime example of the kind of system reinforcement that became apparent after Superstorm Sandy flooded a number of electrical stations along waterways such as Newark Bay. Since this site is located inland, this station — had it been built before the storm — could have helped keep the lights on in Newark for thousands of customers.
- New 230kV/69kV/26kV Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) will be installed at the site of our new Fairmount Heights Switching Station.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) technology will be installed to remotely monitor and control the station equipment.
- New underground electric circuits will be installed throughout the West Ward of Newark to connect to the station.
- PSE&G will undertake environmental remediation of the contaminated soil on the property.
- PSE&G will demolish all existing buildings located along the property.
- The station is expected to be fully operational by the summer of 2018.
- This project is a part of a $277 million investment in Newark’s electrical infrastructure to ensure redundancy and reliability.
- PSE&G, the City of Newark, and neighborhood partners will collaborate on the design and beautification of the wall and area surrounding the station.
- PSE&G will develop and implement a community jobs partnership designed to provide career opportunities for local residents.
- PSE&G will work with community partners to identify local minority, women, and small businesses in the local area for various services needed for the project.
- PSE&G and the City of Newark agreed to a settlement in 2014 that will provide much needed tax revenue for the City of Newark.
- If you have questions or concerns, please visit our website www.pseg.com/Fairmount or call our toll free number at 1-800-901-7030.